This is a South-Indian side-dish which is common among all people. The below said recipe serves 4 people.
- Cluster-Bean (1/4 kilo).
- Bengal Gram (2 tea-spoons).
- Fresh grated coconut (1 bowl).
- Cooking oil (2 tea-spoons).
- Green-chillies (2-3 in no.s).
- Curry leaves (2 bunch).
- Mustard seeds (1 tea-spoon).
- Salt (as per requirement).
- Take quarter kilo of Cluster-Bean, wash thoroughly and chop it.
- In a deep fry pan, add 2 tea-spoons of cooking oil/ghee/butter and heat it.
- When oil is hot, add a tea-spoon of mustard seeds and 2 bunches of curry leaves.
- Add cluster-bean to the hot oil mixture and allow it to cook for 8-10 minutes on low flame with constant stirring.
- Soak Bengal Gram(kadale-bele) for half-an-hour.
- Meanwhile, take 2 tea-spoons of soaked Bengal Gram and drain out all the water.
- Gently mix Bengal gram, 2-3 green chillies and a cup of greated coconut and a tea-spoon cumin seeds in a mixer in absence of water so that it has to retain consistence of bigger particles but not a fine paste.
- Transfer the mixed contents into pan containing cooked cluster-bean.
- Mix it thoroughly. Cover the lid and cook in low flame for about 3-5 minutes. Add salt as per your requirement. Ensure that contents should not be over-boiled by constant stirring.
Tip: Cook it till the raw smell of Bengal gram vanishes. Serve hot with rice or chappaties(Indian bread) or it could be consumed as it is, because it serves as main as well as side-dish also. This same procedure can also be carried out with fresh Menthya(Fenu-greek leaves) also.