Brief Description of Baroda Medical College, Vadodara
Medical College Baroda is an academic institute of repute under the aegis of the Department of Health and Family Welfare, Government of Gujarat and located in the city of Vadodara (formerly known as Baroda), one of the major cities of Gujarat state in Western India. It traces its history to the pre-independent era. The foundation stone of the college was laid in the year 1946 by the former ruler of Baroda Sir Pratapsingh Gaekwad and the college started functioning from June 1949 with a batch of 40 students. Attached to the college is the 1500 bedded academic teaching hospital , Sir Sayajirao General Hospital, a tertiary care centre which traces its origin to the Countess of Dufferin hospital started in 1865. The College and Hospital are located in a 36 acre campus located in Central Baroda, 1km from the Vadodara Railway & Bus Stations and 3km from the Vadodara airport. It functions as the Faculty of Medicine of the prestigious Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda, which is responsible for awarding the degrees to the students.
Since its inception the college has progressed a long way in providing quality medical education recognized by the Medical Council of India, to students of Gujarat and those from other states getting admission on an all India quota both in the undergraduate(M.B.B.S) and post graduate medical courses(M.D/M.S). It also provides comprehensive facilities for research and patient care. The Pre and Para clinical departments of this college support all the clinical departments in providing treatment for practically all types of medical conditions. The Medical College campus also houses the Government Physiotherapy College and the Government Nursing College which train students for B.Sc (Physiotherapy) and B.Sc (Nursing courses) respectively. Eminent alumni from this college are successfully practicing all over India and abroad.