The Govt. Medical College, Jammu, the premier institution for delivery of health care in this region was started in May, 1973 in a temporary building (Barracks), as an undergraduate institution with an aim to train sixty five medical students for MBBS course per year and to serve as referral hospital for Jammu province.
A view of GMC Jammu
From the make shift sheds of yesteryears, with meagre staff and equipments, to the present day mammoth complete with chain of adequately staff and fully equipped associated hospitals, this college is now credited to be amongst a few top institutions in the Northern India.
At present, Govt. Medical College, Jammu is catering to the patients from whole of Jammu region, parts of Kashmir Valley and adjoining areas of neighbouring states of Punjab and Himachal Pradesh. To cope up with the increased workload, there has been an increase in the bed strength and other facilities in Govt. Medical College Hospitals. There are 800 doctors including faculty and residents, 1000 nurses including supervisory staff, 1500 class III & IV employees working in the college and various hospitals. Doctors and technical staff wear white apron, nurses wear their uniform, Khaki uniform is provided to class IV employees. All staff members wear identity cards.