Brief Description of Mahabodhi School, Mysore
Mahabodhi School is situated in a serene area of Saraswathipuram, Mysore. The school provides HOLISIC EDUCATION in an atmosphere of love and care allowing the children to grow naturally and happily developing intelligence, compassion and wisdom and every stage. Mahabodhi School is managed and run by Mahabodhi Maitri Mandala, Bangalore, an NGO engaged in several social welfare activities all over India.
HOLISTIC EDUCATION is to bring about total personal evolution, physical fitness, emotional balance and strength, social responsibility, cultural richness, Spiritual growth of a child. This is achieved.
This is achieved through:
1. Buildings of character based on moral and spiritual principles constituting the foundations of happiness and peace.
2. Academic studies, which fulfills one's intellectual thirst and also helping a person to find one's profession in the life of help oneself and others.
3. Caring inner environment and outer environment, which includes relationship with people and nature around one self.
Meditation and Moral Values: Mahabodhi School gives very high importance to moral values. For this the following five basic principles called 'Pancha Sheela' are taught:
1. Not to kill or harm any living being but to save and love all living beings.
2. Not o take what is not given but to share and give what one can
3. Not to look others with perverted view but consider everybody as brothers and sisters.
4. Not to tell lies and harsh words but to tell truth and useful words
5. Not o spoil the mind by intoxicants but to brighten it with meditation.
The school starts and ends with 10-minute meditation. Everyday week there is also a group meditation where all the staff and children meditate together. Meditation teachers from India and abroad are invited to conduct meditation camps. His way the school offers facilities for personal, physical, emotional, social, cultural and spiritual growth in a balanced way, which is the motto of the school: HOLISTIC EDUCATION FOR HAPPINHESS AND EXCELLENCE
The Glimpse of History
In 1957 Ven. Acharya Buddharakkhita established an institute called SILAYATANA-Institute of Moral Education, Meditation classes and moral lessons were given an informal way to all age groups. In 1984 a small kindergarten was started in a humble way, which was run for several years and was upgraded to primary school under the guidance of Shri Sreerangaraju, DPI. In 1992 it